Originally built in 1897 The Levy Building was the first building to be constructed on the present day block.
The refurbishment of this building included seismic upgrading, acoustic treatment to accommodate office tenant leasing on the upper floors and a café / gallery on the ground floor. Complete external decorative restoration was required, including the supply and installation of new services throughout, and the installation of a new lift. A substantial structural element was added to create a new enclosed balcony and provide canopies to individual floors.
As a listed historical building, all trade elements required detailed consultation and coordination with the Historic Places Trust and Auckland City Heritage. Situated in the heart of the busy Britomart Precinct the buildings location added to the challenges posed by this Heritage building. As a result a close working relationship was quickly established with Auckland City Council and their traffic management team to ensure the safe, smooth flow of daily commuters.
The restoration of The Levy Building is a catalyst in promoting the revitalization of New Zealand’s Architectural Heritage and Canam Interiors is pleased to have been involved in such a project.